Host a Teacher from Germany
Showing opportunities tagged with Challenge Fund
Would you like to have authentic German cultural input in your school? Through the Host a Teacher from Germany programme, your school can host a German teacher for one, two or three weeks during the academic year, at no cost. Find out how your school could benefit!
Please note: The deadline to apply to host a teacher from Germany in 2019-20 has now passed. UK schools interested in hosting a teacher from Germany in 2020-21 will will be able to apply again from mid-May 2020.
All schools and FE colleges from the whole of the UK can take part. The UK coordinating teacher does not need to be a teacher of German, and German does not need to be on the school’s curriculum; visiting teachers are either teachers of English or have good knowledge of the English language.
- A fresh injection of German culture into the school, with the possibility of special sessions for pupils
- Joint thematic learning: both sides are able to benefit from discussing educational and curricular themes together and gain a new perspective
- The visit helps to broaden horizons, break down any existing prejudices, and increase pupils' intercultural awareness and understanding
- Linguistic teaching support: pupils and teachers are able to practise their German speaking and gain confidence in conversing in the language
- Discussion and reflection: teachers gain new insight into the German education system, discuss educational issues and are able to reflect on current practice
- A chance to discuss and develop a potential partnership for future project activities
UK schools can either be matched with a German teacher on the basis of a host offer form (application form) or host a teacher who is known to them, e.g. from a partner school.
When does the visit take place?
Visits take place for either two or three weeks between September and July, and schools can indicate their preferred dates on their hosting form, as well as any dates which are unsuitable. The exact times should be agreed between you and your German visitor.
Vetting and support
All visiting teachers are fully-qualified and vetted under the German system and more information will be provided to all participating schools. We will also provide you with practical tips and support about how to get the most out of the visit for both sides.
Visiting teachers either stay in host families (if your school is in a position to offer this), or in a local hotel. The visiting teacher pays the host family £150 per week for board and lodging.
Before submitting a hosting form, please read through the programme information.
Schools wishing to be matched with a German teacher should fill in and submit the online hosting form and send the confirmation form to UK-German Connection by email. Once the online application is completed and the signed confirmation form has been received, the matching process will begin.
For schools wishing to host a teacher known to them, UK schools also complete the online hosting form and send the confirmation form to UK-German Connection by email. The German teacher should apply to PAD: www.kmk-pad.org
On the basis of the hosting form, you will be matched with a teacher from Germany, taking into account your school's context and profile as far as possible. However, an exact match in terms of school type and subjects is not always possible.
If you have any questions, or would like further information on the programme, please contact our Host a Teacher programme manager.